St. Andrews Church Sawtry. Demolished in 1880 to rebuild All Saints Church. Click 'Text Show' Button.. St. Andrews Church Sawtry.
St. Andrew’s church (which was situated to the east of Ermine street) was founded in 1238 and demolished in 1879/80. Excavations carried out by the Sawtry and district archaeological society in 1982 –3 uncovered rubble walls with plaster and tiled floor, and historical records show that the rectory and church never seem to have been well looked after. The churchyard which continued in use after the church was demolished has 121 memorials dating from 1736 to 1941, although a burial plaque from inside the church itself dates to 1633. Most interesting is a slate memorial from 1756 dedicated to a Leicester man tragically killed by his best friend in a duel. The churchyard is open to the public and can be reached via the bridge over the A1 M.
These are the most popular keywords used on the site.
View all the keywords used in this catalogue.
Search by date